Taco night ranks right up there with pizza night at our house! Here’s how we do it plastic-free 😃
- We make corn tortillas using Maseca instant corn masa flour, which comes in a paper bag. We mix 2 cups corn flour with 1 1/2 cups water, roll the dough into small balls, press them flat, then cook them three at a time on a pan. We don’t have a tortilla press, so my son flattens them on our kitchen counter by putting all his weight on a wooden cutting board 😆
- We season a can of refried beans with spices we buy in bulk by refilling our containers. Homemade taco seasoning is easy to make, and we can tailor it to our liking. We warm the beans up on the stove on low heat while prepping the rest of our meal.
- We get our lettuce either unpackaged at the grocery store, in a compostable bag from Lufa Farms, or from our own garden. Then we give it a good wash and chop it up.
- We buy our cheddar cheese at Fromagerie Marché Village where they happily fill my containers. We shred the cheese at home then store the leftovers in an airtight container.
- For extra spice, I add either Tabasco sauce or homemade salsa 😋
- And to wash it all down, we make some homemade lemonade. Our recipe is 1 freshly squeezed lemon, 4 cups water and 6 tablespoons cane sugar.
This might sound like a lot of work, but it’s easy when you have a helper 🙂 While the pan is warming up, I prep the beans and lettuce and my son makes the tortillas. Then I start cooking the tortillas while he shreds the cheese and makes the lemonade. Before we know it, dinner is ready! 😊