My son’s favorite recipe since going zero waste: homemade flour tortillas!
He LOVES making these. He mixes the dough, separates into balls then rolls them flat with a rolling pin. My job is cooking them in a pan.
These are fun and easy to make. Plus, by making our own, we avoid a plastic bag as well as a bunch of hard-to-pronounce ingredients. These homemade flour tortillas only require four ingredients, which you probably already have in your kitchen and which are easy to buy plastic-free 😁 The ones we don’t eat right away get stored in the freezer. Whenever we want a fresh, warm tortilla, we just pop one in the microwave for 30 seconds! 😋
Flour tortilla recipe
4 cups flour (we do 3 cups all-purpose and 1 cup whole wheat)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup canola oil or sunflower oil
1 1/4 cups warm water (approximate)
1) Mix dry ingredients in large bowl.
2) Add canola oil and mix until crumbly.
3) Add water and combine until soft dough forms.
4) Separate into 12 small balls.
5) Roll out each ball as thinly as possible.
6) Cook for about 30 seconds on each side on medium heat; no oil or butter required.